Sunday, September 23, 2018

Prepared to work!

Here we go, talking about works again...

Still reading in Ephesians, in chapter 4 today. One of the things I love about Scripture is that the Holy Spirit points out something new each time we read it. I've read through this passage more times than I can count, but I got something out of it today that I haven't before. In verses 11-12, I've always focused on the fact that we each have unique spiritual gifts, and each have our own individual focus. Today, though, the phrase "to prepare God's people for works of service" is what hit me like a ton of bricks.

This goes back to my post from Thursday, on Ephesians 2:10. We each have a job to do! Just like we each have our own unique set of spiritual gifts, and our own unique purpose, we also each have our own unique "works of service" that we are intended by God to do. That's part of WHY He gives us those spiritual gifts in the first place! Of course, ultimately, our purpose is to bring Him glory, but one of the ways we are to do this is by serving others. Those works that I mentioned a few days ago, that we are supposed to do after we are saved, include works of service. What that service work looks like depends on you. Pray about it. Ask God where He wants you to serve. That won't be enough, though, because here comes the hard part...

Once you know what that service is, you have to go do it. Some times it will come easily, out of joy, and it will be a pure act of love and not feel like work at all. Other times, though, it will be scary, and you will face opposition and persecution. That, my friend, is the devil, trying to stop you from serving. Remember the words of Jesus in John 15:18, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." Where do you think that hatred comes from? It comes from the evil one, who wants everyone else he can get to burn with him for the rest of eternity. Stay strong! Remember something else Jesus said: "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:11-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment